Best-in-class TrainingCaring Contact offers award-winning training for volunteers and the broader community.
Caring Contact provides award-winning comprehensive training to both our volunteers and the community, including parents, first responders, educators, businesses, community groups and members of the clergy. Our Applied Suicide Intervention Skills training program is listed on the National Registry of Suicide Prevention Evidence-Based Practices, having been proven clinically effective through testing and research.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training is the most widely used suicide prevention training program in the world.
"It's very important that we are listeners. It takes training and that’s why there's this wonderful training you go through."
"I love it. I'm really happy I found the organization. I'm really proud to be working with such a strong group. People are really happy to help because we do a lot of great work."
Volunteer Lisa, computer programmer
"You learn to listen. I don't care if you’re teaching or trading or talking to someone over the phone, you have to be able to hear what they're saying. Sometimes it's sub-texted."
Listener Pat, human resources professional
"What we do is very important. It takes training to be effective and Contact provides excellent training and preparation. That eases your nerves."
Listener Mark, student
"It's been the most rewarding experience I could ever have imagined. Every time you pick up the phone you are going to help someone. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever done."
Listener John, designer
"People say we must be very special because we go on the line with people in distress but I look at it as a gift to me. When you are on the line with someone who is depressed or suicidal, you walk away grateful you’re not making that call, grateful for what you have and grateful you can be there for them. You can’t give anyone anything better than being a caring, empathic listener."
Listener Laurie, retired teacher
"There is a sense of accomplishment. There’s also a huge sense of humility because you are speaking to people who in many cases are desperate and the time you give them may save a life or get them through the next hour, because some of them are living hour to hour. It’s amazing."
Listener Isabel, computer programmer
"CONTACT gives really good training. That's helped with my nerves. In the beginning they put you on the phone with someone who's being doing this a long time."
Jiang, marketing professional
Make a difference in people's lives by being there to listen
- Caring Contact responds to more than 15,000 calls each year.
- Our listeners help give people the will to keep going and the support to seek out more resources.
Acquire comprehensive training and resources so you are prepared and supported when on the line
- Caring Contact provides 54 hours of comprehensive training in active listening and suicide intervention. You also will go through 24 hours of internship with seasoned listeners before you are on the lines by yourself.
- We teach best practices. Our Applied Suicide Intervention Skills training is listed on the National Registry of Suicide Prevention Evidence-Based Practices.
- Our trainers are both long-time listeners and nationally certified instructors in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training. Through our training, you become certified in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills.
- Each trainer has undergone a week of intensive training by Living Works.
- Trainers must teach at least one suicide intervention skills class per year to maintain their certifications and are regularly evaluated by experts in the training.
Develop communication skills and training you can use in any situation throughout your life
- The most important part of communication is listening. With us you will learn active listening skills that can be used anywhere with anyone.
- You will obtain a certification in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills
Receive excellent value
- Volunteer Package – $600, Your cost: $299
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training – $300 value / Your price is $200. Our group rate for eight to 24 participants is $6,000.
- Includes all materials and certifications.