Caring Contact is an award-winning, volunteer-staffed caring and crisis hotline and listening community.
We’re a resource for people going through difficult times and looking for someone to care. Whether our callers are dealing with depression, anxiety, other sources of stress or suicidal thoughts, our volunteers are trained to provide a non-judgmental and supportive ear. We listen with heart, responding to more than 15,000 calls each year. To meet the needs of our callers and to support the community’s need for mental health support, we provide mental health and suicide education opportunities to first responders, community and youth groups, members of the clergy, businesses, educators and parents.
Caring Contact is affiliated with the American Association of Suicidology. We partner with Crisis Text Line. We are a member of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. We are accredited by The International Council for Helplines..
MissionCaring Contact is devoted to promoting emotional wellbeing and preventing emotional crises by providing opportunities for people to express themselves to compassionate listeners in a safe environment. We respond to the need for human interaction and create opportunities for people to help each other. We offer training to people and organizations in the listening skills needed to support those in crisis.
Recognition & Grants
Since our founding in 1975, Caring Contact and our volunteer listeners have received numerous awards:
- Best Statewide Volunteer Organization by the New Jersey Governor’s Office of Volunteerism (2008)
- Union County Human Relations Commission Unity Award for Achievement by a Community Organization (2010)
- New Jersey State Governor’s Jefferson Awards for Good Neighbor (2012) and for Emergency Service (2010)
- Received Certificates of Recognition from Fanwood, Scotch Plains, and the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders in 2018 for our work in crisis intervention
- Recognized for our support of the community in a Proclamation by the Fanwood Town Council in 2021
Caring Contact receives support from about 100 volunteers.
Whether listening, providing fundraising or marketing support, or ensuring excellence, our volunteers all make a difference in the lives of others. Their skills, sensitivity and compassion are integral to the success of our organization.